The Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) provides consumers with independent and transparent advice and information on the level of occupant protection provided by vehicles in serious front and side crashes.
Since 1993, ANCAP has published crash test results for over 400 vehicles. These vehicles are awarded star ratings indicating the level of safety they provide in the event of an accident. The higher the ANCAP star rating the better the vehicle performed in the tests. ANCAP recommends that consumers only buy ANCAP 5 star rated vehicles.
ANCAP is committed to...
- crash testing new motor vehicles and publishing the results;
- contributing to the systems approach to improving road safety:
safer drivers in safer cars on safer roads;
- educating and influencing decision makers to effectively legislate
and advocate for improved car safety;
- working with manufacturers and importers to raise the bar on safety
improvements and its importance to the consumer; and
- cooperating with international advocates to lift and align safety
standards around the world.
ANCAP's crash test program is supported by...
- Australian and New Zealand automobile clubs;
- Australian Federal, state and territory governments;
- New Zealand Government;
- Victorian Transport Accident Commission;
- NRMA Insurance; and
- FIA Foundation (UK).
View all of our Member organisations.